The temple is situated on the top of a mountain, where it stands majestically making it a paradise. It was in his dreams that he was prophesized to build this temple. When he followed the directions to the site where the temple stands today, he met a yak herder on the way. He considered this meeting as a good sign as the yak herder was carrying milk.
Je Kunga Jamtsho built the monastery in 1768 and named it Tashigang Goemba, after the yak herder’s name.