Kyichu Lhakhang is a 7th-century temple built by King Songtsen Gampo of Tibet and is considered to be one of the most beautiful and oldest temples in Bhutan.
Situated a few kilometers from Paro town, the temple was built in 659 AD to immobilize the left foot of a giant ogress that was disturbing the establishment of Buddhism in the region.
Originally, the temple consisted of only the main Jowo Lhakhang, which conceals the valley’s greatest treasure, the original 7th-century statue of Jowo Sakyamuni. The Paro Penlop and the 25th Je Khenpo constructed additional buildings and a golden roof in 1839.
It is believed that Guru Padmasambhava visited Kyichu Lhakhang in the 8th century and concealed many spiritual treasures here.